The Health Risks of Self Employment

I have been self employed now for the past 18 years and I remember the words of many authors, who all sing the same phrase: Self Employment is possibly the most difficult challenge in any field of Employment.

I can definitely agree with that. Trying to be cautious, I first studied an additional course in Business Management before embarking on the tremendous risks associated with self employment. The only factors I was most weary of were the sustainability of a business and the profitability of course. I was prepared to accept the additional challenges of Long hours, Ongoing education, competition, marketing challenges and Business administration. I NEVER considered my Health Risks. Not until it was too late of course...

Working long hours, sleeping too little in order to maximise my work hours, working 7 days a week, skipping meals, eating quick unplanned meals, definitely No Time for Exercise, lack of recreation, all these contributed to my increase in health risks.

I certainly became successful financially, with time. Sadly I developed the following:
Obesity, Chronic High Blood Pressure, Insulin dependent Diabetes, Heart Disease.
The turning point was when I began to suffer regular chest pains and the risk of a heart attack became an immediate reality. I thank these symptoms because they forced me to FIND TIME FOR MY HEALTH!
Exercise was out of the question. My health was too frail and exercise would have definitely added to my already long list of health risks. So I decided on the following:

1. Remove all the negative elements I was putting into my system. This meant I quit smoking (it's easy when you are facing possible death); I quit drinking (which I thought I needed for stress), I decreased eating fast foods and increased normal home cooked meals.

2. I went for a 40 minute Morning Walk every day. I did this every day without fail the first thing Each Morning.

The results after Just 6 months:
1. I lost about 25kg
2. My Blood pressure was normal
3. I no longer needed Insulin to control my sugar levels
4. I definitely looked better
5. I felt fitter than when I was 16 and plenty of energy.
It is now 8 years later, and I am still enjoying excellent health. I still exercise regularly, although my exercise levels are more intensive now. I still am careful not to be too excessive on foods that are considered a health risk.
My dear friends. My fellow entrepreneurs. Please remember to consider your health risks and do not neglect it until it is too late. What is the point of all the blood, sweat and tears if you are not alive to reap the benefits. Take care of your health. Don't become another statistic. Live a Healthy, Active Lifestyle each Day!
Please visit my website to read more inspiring articles written to Change Your Life!
http://www.platinumclub123.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=David_Andrew_Solomon


No comments:

Post a Comment