Is Sitting the New Smoking? Does Your Desk Job Put Your Health at Risk?

"Sitting is the new smoking" was the title on many items work this winter. Does that get your attention? Certainly have mine and I kept thinking during the long winter we had and that we move to a warmer climate. Although I exercise regularly, sitting all day can still be bad for my health.

How active are we?

Research shows that the average American spends more than 9 hours a day sitting down! However, I rarely feel long without getting up - during the day, I'm sure my place in this table as our population. We sit in our offices working on the computer at home, watch TV, read a book, control over the media. The list is long of all the activities that are spent sitting.

How is it affecting our health?

The bad news is sitting for long periods of time has been shown that:

-Decrease the body's metabolism.

-Increase triglyceride levels.

-Reduce the good HDL cholesterol.

-Decreased sensitivity to insulin.

-Increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, some cancers and death.

Research has shown that people who sit for long periods of time have a life expectancy, a slower metabolism and heavier.

problem

We're just not paying attention! It is a normal part of our daily lives that we do not realize what can affect our health and how it would be easy to make some changes.

Get up and move!

Gradually incorporate more standing and movement in the day could go a long way to improve your health. Here are some ways that can help you get started:

1. Permanent or a treadmill desk. They have become increasingly popular and there are a multitude of options available at each different price level.

Two. Extending throughout the day. Take a few minutes every hour to get up and stretch your body.

Three. Sit on an exercise ball.

April. Get up and walk to talk to a colleague or to stand or pace while talking on the phone.

Can. Work planning meetings.

Ergo, I bought a desk for my office and I really enjoyed walking most of the time. I do not spend all day standing, and in the morning I find that I have less patience to bear. But after sitting for a while, my office is easily adjusted so that you can stand comfortably. I put on my tennis shoes and I give my butt a break. It feels good to my body and I feel good knowing I'm doing something good for my health.

It is therefore a priority

Physical activity has a commitment to make this a priority. Take the time planned exercise is still very important, the programming time for structured exercise can be a challenge.

See how you can create more movement every day, be prepared with the right equipment (shoes, equipment that suits your body) and make a change today - the benefits are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment